Friday, October 03, 2008

On Listening to Mark Twain

At the beginning of my adventures in Italy I posted a Mark Twain quote on this blog. As I travel I have been attempting to follow his advice, and so last Sunday I got lost. Not only did I get lost, but I got lost on purpose. In a small way, it was an attempt by me to explore and discover interesting things in Florence. The following information is the best way I have found to get lost on purpose.

Step One: Get on a bus, any local bus, preferably one of which you know nothing of the destination.

Step Two: Get off said bus, and a random unknown stop, and wander deep into the streets.

Step Three: Hopefully by this time you are lost. Now find your way back to the bus stop home, while enjoying the city around you. Hopefully you will discover, something new and interesting.

The results of this experiment were somewhat mixed for me. I did learn how to get to the train station, that is a good thing. Then I somehow ended up at the Duomo, which was slightly disappointing. I do believe that in the future I would like to have a compass to accompany my map, so that I can get my bearings easier. Although, it would be more of an adventure without one. Sunday roles back around in a few days, I can't wait to get lost in Florence again.

4 comments:

Steven Baird said...

just watch out and don't let the gypsies knife you!

David E. Baird said...

Yeah, I will make sure to look out for that. Maybe I should get myself a good pick sticker, I left mine at home.

Steven Baird said...

just don't try to take it into the vatican. Grant Pinkston almost got arrested trying to take a knife in there.

David E. Baird said...

I heard that story, which is part of the reason I don't have one. Mine are fairly nice and I don't care to lose one. However I think my diet of bread and cheese is going to require one.