Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Night Train (An Adventure to Southern Italy)

Following a strenuous day of education, the HUF group embarked on adventures to southern Italy. The first leg of this trip was an overnight couchette. Such trains rides were not new to me, as I had experienced at least one when in Greece. A few things did come as a surprise to me. First of all, I was the only couchette, to be a mixture of guys and girls (I had intense nightmares of being expelled from Harding), secondly, we were joined by a young Italian man. An Italian man, who really spoke little English (I guess that should be expected), but that talked to us for four hours anyhow, even after we tried to sleep. These are the things that I learned (it took all five of us with two dictionaries to interpret), his name was Orezzo, he was 19 years old, and did not go to a university because he is a sponsered cyclist. In fact he claimed to be the champion cyclist of Sicely. My new freind also had two girlfriends, one in Florence, and one in another town. He seemed to have a sense of humor. When asking our ages he discovered that I was at least two years older than every member of the room, at which point he nicknamed me Molto Vecchio, which means very old. He called me that the rest of the night. Other than that, the train ride was rather unadventerous; although, I did discover that I need to attempt not to end up on the bottom bunk in the future, I don't really fit.

No comments: